[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Back again....and Tesla Magnifier Tuning [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Back again....and Tesla Magnifier Tuning

Welcome back! .... I'm always flying under the radar and don't talk much but it's good to see people come back. I built a tabletop magnifier years ago, I don't know if I got the tuning the way it's suppose to be but, building it was a lot of fun.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/21962809@N02

Please keep us posted.

Dave in Nokesville

On 7/31/2018 8:37 AM, Daniel Kunkel wrote:
Gregory,
Welcome back! I too took a sabbatical from coiling and am back at it
recently.

My understanding is that the secondary coil exists to:
  --increase voltage by transformation (no resonance)
  --increase energy transfer from primary to secondary due to tight coupling
(tight coupling prohibits resonance anyway)
So yes, tune the primary to the extra coil.

Here is some good reading Richard Hull on magnifiers that should help a lot.
Page 1: http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman/Magnifier.html
Page 2: http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman/Magnifier1.html

Good luck!
~Dan
Kansas City area

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 11:14 PM, Gregory Peters <greg.j.peters@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi All,
Well after a few years off I'm back into coiling. I've been into coils on
and off since the mid 90s and it's great to see the pupman list still going
strong! How many members are there these days I wonder?
Anyway, I have a magnifier project in mind and am interested to know about
the finer details of tuning these beasts. Is the primary normally tuned to
match the resonant frequency of the extra coil alone (plus some for
streamer/corona loading), or is it tuned to match the aggregate resonant
frequency of the combined secondary and extra coil? Or somewhere else
completely?!
It seems like if the primary + secondary system is truly meant to act as a
transformer base driving the extra coil, then the tuning should be closer
to that of the extra coil alone than it is to the combined secondary and
extra coil system. Hope that makes sense!
Any advice would be most appreciated!
Regards,
Greg.