[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Streak camera (was high FPS) [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Streak camera (was high FPS)

Want to look at spark structure? Use a streak camera.
Terry Fritz and I had concurrent projects in competition in 2012.

Some details:
Rotating mirror giving 300 m/s camera recording as the spark "moves" through the field. So not an independent frame but a record on a moving film as it were. Think of a seismograph printing on moving paper.
Ideal for microsecond events.

Camera was my then Nikon D300 DSLR exposed in darkness for 2 seconds exposure. (i.e. NOT fast frame)

Here is a single green LED running a 100 kHz calibration. These are 10 us apart and have sharp images. Resolution is 100 ns/pixel. Hence with this setup with small fast mirror, one can resolve spark microsecond events easily.
http://tesladownunder.com/HVBrokenSparkLEDCalibrate100KHz.jpg

So lets look at one of my early spark shots. This spark was from a junk coil with 2 inch sparks.

http://tesladownunder.com/HVRotMirrorTeslabigSpark1Singel.jpg

A spark forms without pre-existing streamers as the distance is close.
There is a 100 kHz ring down with at least 5 clear sparks of decreasing intensity following. The left electrode gives a more constant blue glow from the copper wire which has strong blue spectral lines.

Lots of other stuff about streamer growth and ring up of streamers prior to the main spark. Structure of sparks shows some odd things. A lot different to what you expect.
I have one shot that I interpret as a spark hitting a dust mote.

Later I have used a series red LED with a 2 foot spark to it with a 4 inch mirror running at a fearsome 2000 rpm. These LED's (red only) are bullet proof. They more clearly show the second resonance at about 8-10 kHz on top of the 200 kHz. Also sparks ringing down for perhaps 10 cycles are clearly seen by the LED and not by the camera.

Streamers ring up and sparks ring down - easy to remember.

See the full details on the streak camera topic on my old tesladownunder site - unfortunately still not altered after 7 years to include everything I've done since.

http://tesladownunder.com/HVsparks.htm#HighSpeedSparkPhotography

Could you use a lesser camera? Certainly. Could you use a smartphone? For bright events, I think you probably could if you can do at least a one second exposure.
Particularly if a red LED is used as well.
I have taken 1200 FPS with a Nikon 1 V2 of small sparks onto my hand but this is direct video recording detail 1000 times slower.
It's not all about the megabuck equipment.

Enjoy.

Peter Terren
Tesladownunder

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Boden