[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Measuring "Energy Discharge Capacitor Information" [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Measuring "Energy Discharge Capacitor Information"

I never broke a bottle ?. Have seen a lot of things that said I would but never did. Might have been for a lot of reasons that I did not. It took up a lot of space but was very cheap. Started with plastic tubs with a hinged top (home depot). Glass bottles 1 quart about mine were sparkling water clear glass no glass embossing. Plastic bottle cap with nut & bolt Stainless steel 1/16 or so welding rod attached to bolt hanging into salt water mix about 2 or 3 table spoon's of Leslie salt. mineral oil on top of salt water. 12 bottles would fit in a tub. All the bottles were in parallel 24 to 48 bottles. One connection to a copper ribbon that went into the salt water in the tub. The other a connection to the top of each bottle then out to a bolt. It was colorful when it was on. Sure there was a lot of leakage corona on every bottle where the glass and water met. Oil on top might help but might be messy. Cheap but it worked so if you are a newbie you might think about this way first old Nick Tesla did. Sure there is better hardware but this way is the way it all started. Have Fun I am STILL.

    On Monday, June 18, 2018 9:54 AM, jimlux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 On 6/18/18 7:51 AM, Bert Hickman wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> These are also heavy-duty energy discharge caps, using a kraft
> paper-foil dielectric system. The Aerovox PM series are all rated at 20%
> voltage reversal, and no self-healing.
>
> The low capacitance and dielectric system for your caps limit their use
> to low pulse-rate, very high-voltage applications, such as flash X-ray,
> Marx generators, exploding wire, or rock fragmentation work. The
> dielectric system will be fairly lossy for lower-voltage oscillatory
> applications, and the stored energy is limited for coin shrinking since
> work-coil flashover limits maximum cap voltage to 20-25 kV.

Kind of drifting from TC, but I shrink quarters to dime sized at 20kV.

> You might be able to get more information by directly contacting the
> folks at Aerovox. Unfortunately, many of their energy discharge caps are
> custom designs. This often binds Aerovox to non-disclosure agreements
> with their customers, preventing them from releasing even basic
> capacitor specs...

More TC related.. maybe some discussion about "how to measure" capacitor
properties might be interesting.

You're not going to be able to get #of shot life kind of data, but maybe
you could measure losses.

These days, an Arduino, Beagle, or Rpi might be enough data acquisition
capability to measure a lot of useful component and assembly parameters.

It's been a while since Terry Fritz was making Q measurements with a
digital oscilloscope.