[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] High Voltage Capacitor Oil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] High Voltage Capacitor Oil

Hi Paul,

If you can provide links to images of your capacitors, especially the face-plate, label, or stamped info, or if you can provide manufacturer info and model number, there is a possibility that we can identify the type of dielectric fluid. Was "Atomic Research" the manufacturer or perhaps the application they came from?

As Jim Lux indicated, a large variety of capacitor dielectric fluids and blends have been used in HV capacitors over the last half century. Many of these fluids were proprietary and not readily available to a casual hobbyist and others (such as PCB's) are no longer available. And some benzine-based "aromatic" fluids were more volatile than others, so its possible that the capacitor rolls may have partially dried out.

The easiest fix is to try adding mineral oil and resealing it. before resealing, drawing a partial vacuum for 24 hours or so may help to remove entrapped air inside the rolls if they've partially dried out. Finally, if the cap is packaged in a cylindrical container, remember to leave a small air bubble in the cap to provide room for expansion of the capacitor rolls especially if you plan to use the cap for Tesla Coil operation. The repaired cap should be usable, but you may need to derate its operating voltage...

Bert

Paul McGlen wrote:
Hi All,
I recently acquired some Atomic Research Pulse Capacitors. They are 50kV
and 100nF, however, one of them was damaged and the oil has leaked out, so
I need to replace this. Does anyone know what this oil is and where I can
get it. If not can I replace it with high voltage transformer oil?

Cheers.