[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] Picture of the Tesla coil elements. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Picture of the Tesla coil elements.

Hi James,

Good start!  A few observations...

I was unable to read what value resistor you are using for bleeder
resistors, but it appeared that you just wrapped the leads together, rather
than soldering?  I'd recommend soldering them

It looks like you have a 25-long string of 0.15uF/600VDC CD 942C caps.  The
overall value comes to .006uF @15KVDC.  The cap type and uF rating are a
good match for your 15/30 NST, but the voltage rating is a bit on the low
side, given that the peak bang voltage is going to be at least 21KV.  It
will work, but with a limited lifespan.

I couldn't judge the secondary dimensions, but the coil looked to be rather
candle-sticky (long and skinny).  Generally we shoot for an aspect ratio of
1:5 with about 1000 turns, although there is nothing sacred about these
numbers.  4" PVC is typical for your NST size.  Where are you?  I'm still
trying to give away a 4" secondary, provided I don't have to pack & ship it.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA