[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] PFC Cap Bank [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] PFC Cap Bank

While use of PFC caps won't alter the efficiency of your coil, the fact
that it reduces the current through your mains cabling will result in lower
IR losses, so the available mains voltage at your pig will be higher than
if you weren't using PFC.  This may not matter if you are throttling the
pig with a Variac, but in my experience using an NST with Variac always set
to 11 that was pulling >25A through wiring in the walls, the IR drop was
significant.  Any way to boost the mains voltage at the NST means more
power throughput and longer sparks, effectively setting the Variac to "12".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA