[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] DC Charging [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DC Charging

Hi Mike,

Nice running system!

Assuming your DC bus voltage is currently a maximum of 13.4 kV or so (9.5 kV x 1.414), the DC charging supply will charge your tank cap to about 2X this, or about 27 kVDC. You'd need to increase the DC voltage rating of your tank cap to at least 54 kV to safely handle the peak-to-peak ringing voltage when your gap fires. You can reduce the low-voltage drive to your pig, but in all cases the DC rating of your tank cap will need to be a minimum of 4X the maximum DC bus voltage in order to safely handle both ringing and voltage doubling from the resonant charging circuit.

Bert

mike tucknott via Tesla wrote:
Hi All

I`m in need of help and advice - re DC charging V AC charging.

At the moment I`m running out magnifier coil on AC, power comes from a 15KvA pole pig set to output 9.5Kv (it`s the way I wired it when I rebuilt the thing), my primary cap is of the MMC type and is 0.017uf @ 28kV, I`m running a super series rotary spark gap with a rotor speed of 0 - 10,000 rpm.

The best performance so far is V in 230V @ 20A with a brake rate of aprox 650bps the max arc lenght so far is around 6 too 6 1/2 feet (and as you can guess I want more)

My thoughts are to run the pig output through a full bridge made of 4 HV diodes rated at 25kV @ 2A`s then through a set of smoothing caps ( 3 x 7.5kV DC @ 2uf for a total of 22.5kV @ 0.66uf) then through a de-Qing diode again 25kV@2A`s then an HV inductor.

This way I`m hoping my MMC will see a much higher voltage (More voltage more bang)

Here is a link to my Youtube channel with the coil running

https://youtu.be/ZHoEUtOTEzc

What are peoples thoughts on the idea.

Cheers All

Mike Tucknott