[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] Bizarre tesla coil on E-Bay [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Bizarre tesla coil on E-Bay

Umm, I beg to differ...  I think the experience of most here has the
longest sparks occuring when the coil is *IN* tune.  When a coil is OUT of
tune, the power from the transformer is not coupled to the secondary and
delivered to sparks, so it is dissipated in capacitor dielectric, spark
gaps, and other loss mechanisms, and THAT's when things are more likely to
die.  The width ratios don't matter - coupling and matching resonance do.
By what failure mechanism do you believe the transformers fail?

Gary Lau
MA, USA