[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] NST Durability [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] NST Durability

 I have never done this Melted out the tar I would just drop the whole thing in a plastic tub full of the right OIL In the past you were able to buy a new NST bare just the iron & coils. I have a small one like 9kv I can not remember if they went all the way to the big ones I had a Blue Jefferson one15kv @ 120 ma now I have 8 15kv @ 30s that were bought new in the early 90s. Have lost 1 I know of in that time. Lost a pole. I use 4 now to run a coil I think the choke coils between the NST & cap are made to small I get good results from a choke on each pole of a NST my form is 1 inch diameter by 1 foot3 layers with shrink sleeve over each layer of wire I used some magnet wire that was handy like 22 or so close wound about 100+ turns a layer. Grounds on the transformers are floating. The case will have some high voltage better for the transformer but not you if you like to touch them when they are HOT. I do have a Ground Rod10 foot rod & welding cable to bottom of tesla coil & safety gap..    On Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 07:08:44 AM PST, Amnite Ascended <jeremiahschmidt1018@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Sorry if your first thought was, "Jesus man.... Millionth time...
Fragile...."

Anywho. So I want to see if a whole, working, NST will survive getting
powder coated. My main concern is the windings insulation.

For those unfamiliar with the process, here is a quick overview.
The NST will get sandblasted. Then hung on a rack. The rack and NST will
then be grounded. The powder is charged so it easily sticks to the grounded
object. Then the NST will be heat treated to melt and bond the powder. This
is sticking it in an oven for 20-40 minutes, at temps between 325-425 f.
Lugs will of course been protected. The tar smell/smoke shouldn't be an
issue.

I've never unpotted one of these, so seeking the experiences of the list.

Thanks,
Jeremiah