From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Jan 18, 2019 8:19 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] Let's Get Small

I made a Tesla coil out of ONLY parts from a microwave oven, hotglue and
solder.
Details here including photos:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PeterTerren/posts/FnGcdK5773d

"This Tesla coil is made only from parts from a single microwave oven.
It was part of a challenge to the 4HV community to see who could make one
first.
Here are the tech details. The microwave oven transformer supplies 2000VAC
which is voltage doubled with the 140 nF capacitor and diode to around
3,500VDC. The primary winding came from the 6Volt heater winding from the
main transformer. The very fine Tesla coil secondary wire came from the fan
motor windings and is supported by the triangular wheel platter support.
The spark gap was constructed from a stripped circuit board and some
aluminium strips.
So what about the capacitors here? The tricky part was to open the original
1uF oil filled capacitor and unroll windings then reconnect them to form a a
140nf 3.5kV capacitor for the doubler and the main Tesla tank cap of 1nF at
perhaps 10kV. Plus the original cardboard former was taken out washed and
used as the secondary former.
It worked. The capacitors died fairly quickly but proof of principle was
established."
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx