From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Apr 18, 2020 10:00 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] John Freau's streamer length equation

Hey Terry, John, Steve,

I seem to have hit the ceiling on the output spark length from my ARSG pole pig driven classic coil system as well. Available power is not really an issue for either as I can handily feed 240 to 280 volts at ~100 amps all day from my 4-stacked 1256-D powerstat and homebuilt ~110 lbs worth of inductive ballast control panel assembly. When I set my variac dial at about 85 (which is about equal to the 240 volt mains), my coil draws about 90 amps and produces ground striking sparks mainly in the 10 to 12 linear point/point feet range. I may get the occasional rogue streamer that will reach out to 13 or possibly 14 feet, but 10-12 feet is pretty much my limit.

My primary cap is a Maxwell 31885 0.1 uFd, 75 kV rated unit and has proven to be a very robust and reliable capacitor. I tried swapping the cap and retuning with (2) GE 9L18CCL101 protective capacitors in series, each rated at 0.25 uFd, 13.8 kVAC for a 0.125 uFd primary cap. This did work well up to around 70 or so on the variac dial but seemed to almost ‘choke down’ beyond that power level with no apparent gain in spark length, brightness or ground stroke frequency. Theses caps also have the internal bleeder resistors and their external metal casing would begin to noticeably warm when running the variac up past 70 or so. I’ve since changed back to the original Maxwell cap and the output continues to increase in brightness and ground strike frequency pretty much throughout the variac range, although there does seem to be some resonance rise issues when I run past about 90 on the variac dial!

I have also recently changed out the old 10 kVa rated, 14.4 kV pig with a 25 kVa rated, 14.4 kV pig that I have had sitting idle for the past several years. I have not gotten a chance to run my coil yet with the transformer upgrade, but John’s mention of transformer losses got me to wondering if this may give me a notable increase in spark length output. Btw, my secondary coil is ~1260 of #19 AWG magnet wire wound about 49 linear inches on a 12” schedule 20 grey PVC sewer pipe form and my topload is a homemade 12” x 56” donut form.

David Rieben

PS: Thank you for that allowing me to give your orphaned 10 kva single eared piggy a new home, Terry. 😉

Sent from my iPhone