[Home][2020 Index] Re: [TCML] John Freau's streamer length equation [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] John Freau's streamer length equation

At the risk of raining on the parade, I'm frankly puzzled that there could
be such a simple relationship between power and arc length.  Never having
ventured into the pig-powered coil world, I've always been power-limited to
one 15/60 NST and milked that for all I could (66 inches -
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/sparks.htm ) .  My sparks have always been
longer than what others report, but also not remotely as bright. With the
singular goal of maximum spark length, I ended up with a sync 120BPS RSG
and a very large top load.  I wish it were easy to just spin a dial and
trade off long wispy point-to-point sparks for shorter,
brighter, frantically writhing sparks.  But to achieve that, I'd need
higher BPS gap, smaller Cp, smaller primary, smaller topload, etc -  a
completely different coil.  And with no way to quantify the result, there
goes the bragging rights ;-)

Gary Lau
MA, USA