From: Tesla <tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Tedd Dillard
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2020 12:31 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: **External Email** Re: [TCML] "Modern" Spark Gap Designs?

Don't know much about TCs but have some experience with many different types of rotating equipment. I have read a lot about rotating spark gaps and guys using one horsepower and up motors. It seems to me that starting time would be determined by the mass of the rotor but the power to run at full speed would only be limited by windage. The windage would be the only load. It would seem to me that one half horsepower would be plenty.
Are their other factors?
Teddy

On Jan 30, 2020 12:09 AM, "Steve White" <steve.white1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think you will run into a problem if you try to bridge more than two
> gaps. I built my SRSG to allow for either 2 gaps or 4 gaps. I
> initially tried it with 4 gaps and no matter how closely I spaced the
> electrodes, I got inconsistent firing. This is with a 14.4 KV pole
> transformer. I then switched to 2 gaps and got completely consistent
> firing at 240 BPS. I have used 2 gaps ever since. My SRSG runs very
> nicely with a 1/2 HP AC induction motor modified to be synchronous.
> This is with a 12 inch diameter G10 rotor
> 1/2 inch thick running at 3600 RPM.
>
> Steve White
> Cedar Rapids, Iowa

This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender, delete the original and all copies of the email and destroy any other hard copies of it.