[Home][2020 Index] Re: [TCML] Ballast [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Ballast

The thing that kills NST's is over-voltage on the secondary side.  They are
designed to power gas tubes, which clamp the secondary voltage, once
ionized, to several hundred volts (don't quote me on the number).  They
were never designed to power capacitive loads which result in secondary
voltage in excess of the open circuit voltage.  NST insulation in excess of
what's needed for powering tubes is not done and we're lucky to get away
with what we do.

NST's driving capacitive loads will pull a LOT of current.  That in itself
is not hazardous to the NST unless you run it for so long that it heats up,
and then that's something that may degrade the insulation.  But most hobby
TC's are used just very briefly so that's unlikely to be an issue.

Remember that mains current draw can be significantly reduced by adding
Power Factor Correction caps in paralled with the NST primaries.  This will
have no bearing on TC performance, other than possibly boosting performance
by raising the available primary voltage to the NST's due to lower I*R
losses in the mains wiring.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA