[Home][2020 Index] Re: [TCML] Excited [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Excited

Hi Shaun,
It is possible to take scope measurement of the capacitor voltage, with the
timing of the spark gap visible. This is a much more direct way of assessing
the timing. The capacitor voltage is difficult to measure directly, but if
you use a differential HV probe like the Micsig DP10013, which sells for
about 160 $, on the transformer primary, the waveform is almost identical to
the capacitor voltage (multiplied by the winding ratio, of course). Then you
will see where the timing of the SRSG falls on the charging cycle of the
cap. You will also see the capacitor voltage at the firing, so you can see
to what extent your charging is optimized.

I have simultaneous measurements on my web site of cap voltage and
transformer primary voltage waveforms, that shows that the waveforms are
virtually identical. But this is only valid for externally ballasted
transformers with low leakage inductance, like a pig. For a NST you will
only get a meaningless mains waveform, as the ballast inductance is included
in the transformer.

https://www.sthlmteslacoil.se/measurements.html

Regards,
Jan