[Home][2021 Index] Re: [TCML] X-ray transformer wiring help! [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] X-ray transformer wiring help!

On 2/23/21 7:12 AM, Adam James wrote:
Adam Here, None of my business, But perhaps a concern.
Before building my first TC I read all about capacitors and watched a few
videos on overcharged capacitors and how they can fail rather dramatically!
On curts setup, with the bucket Capacitor and an 80k to 100k sustained
charge would it be possible for that thing to go "boom"?
AJ

The failure mode on bucket caps is cracking of the glass, or arcing over (then cracking the glass).  They really don't store enough energy to be more "exciting" than that.  The usual failure is from dielectric heating aggravated by localized heating from corona.  The glass is a pretty lossy dielectric (same problem with large glass plate capacitors that were popular in the 1950s and 1960s) - as it gets hot, the loss goes up (pretty quickly - after all molten glass is a good conductor) - the hotter spots get lossier, which gets them hotter, until the thermal stress cracks them. Once a crack starts to form, then the problem gets even worse.

Bucket caps are also notorious for corona discharge, even at NST voltages (20kV)

Fortunately, failures usually just result in a bucket full of broken glass, salt water, oil and aluminum foil. And maybe a small fire, if you're unlucky.