[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: Copper? no,Steel! [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Copper? no,Steel!

On 5/3/21 8:54 AM, Adam James wrote:
I purchased a roll of 3/16" tubing from Amazon, add said it was copper but
after forming a nice secondary for a small coil I determined it was not
copper, but copper coated steel. How much adversely will this affect my
coil? Should I just toss it, with a lesson learned?
AJ

A secondary? from tubing?

In any case, do you know the thickness of the copper? If it's > a few skin depths at your operating frequency, you're potentially ok.

The real interesting part is steel - it's got a permeability that's going to increase the inductance.  And potentially be lossy.