[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: Teslsa surface wave questions [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

On 10/10/21 1:04 AM, Don wrote:
> On 5/22/2021 1:11 PM, jimlux wrote:
>> Now REPLACE the drift section with the Tesla surface wave. It
>> suddenly all makes sense. Was Tesla's idea to send the actual POWER
>> via 'packets' IN the surface wave?
>

> Hi Jim Lux, et al,
>

> Is the 'Tesla wave' a magnetic stability (alternating recurrence) on
> the secondary TC winding?  Bill Beaty mentioned this to me as a
> significance.  What is it?

Is there a "standing wave" along the secondary? Not really - Most TCs
are best modeled as a lumped LC of some sort.

There is a (much discredited) theory that because a TC  behaves like an
unterminated 1/4 wave transmission line, or a 1/4 wave loaded antenna
(both of which would have high voltage at the unterminated end).  That
theory was reinforced because many TCs happen to have about 1/4
wavelength of wire on them (especially longer skinnier ones), by
coincidence.

It turns out, though, after extensive modeling and analysis, with lots
of measurements by folks on the list that a lumped model works best.

Sure, you can use a fancier model of coupled segments of transmission
lines, just as you can use a 9th order polynomial to represent a
straight line with some noise on it, but that doesn't mean that the 9th
order polynomial is a better fit to the underlying physics.

> Is this wave able to walk/compress/shift/bloat/coalesce along the
> length of the winding surface in response to external loads? (I.e.,
> does the magnetic 'river' cross windings?  Are the windings grooves in
> an LP?  Can the needle skip?)
No.

> Will a well tuned Tesla coil always have a well defined T-wave?
Not sure what a T-wave is.

> I found and lost years back reference that a magnetic resonance is
> superluminal as measured in MRI research <-- with information of the
> magnetic density appearing simultaneously throughout the resonant
> topology when impinged externally --if the topology is resonant.
No idea what this is

> That superlum signal would be a flux-density wave, but the flux
> density signal propagation is superluminal.
>
> Does this make sense to Tesla coil heads?
No

> And I'm not a scientist, just a newbie woodworker.

Not a problem.. just be aware that Tesla and things Tesla related seem
to attract a lot of cranks.  The guy was brilliant, invented a lot of
useful stuff, had a lot of odd ideas that anticipated modern
developments, and was sort of a prototype of the "mad scientist".  So
there are people who try to read more into what Tesla did and said than
actually is justified.  Tesla proposed some things that are desirable,
but are now known to be impossible.  Were Tesla alive today, I suspect
he would modify his ideas and theories to accommodate the current state
of knowledge.