[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Air as di-electric

>Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 01:38:57 +0200 (EET)
>From: Kristian Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Air as di-electric

[snip]
>So, it's a plate-cap using steel plates separated 10mm from each other.
>
>It would mean that the capasitance, using 2000mm*330mm plates would be
>0.5841nF *(n-1), where n is the amount of plates.  Using just 41 plates it
>would be about 23nF. using 1mm thick plates the total mass would be about
>200kg. The cost would be 45FIM (9usd)  for a plate 1000mm*2000mm which
>would get converted to 3 plates.  This would mean 14 of those big plates
>and 630FIM (130usd) - propably less - usually price for steel is 2FIM/kg
>at "surplus"stores.
I salute you! You are a better man than I to move this around;) But
your correct, you would have to melt steel BIG TIME to destroy it.

>In reality? Does someone out there know? for sure?

NO, why don't you try it small time and report back. say 100mm by
100mm plates. Connect them in parallel with your existing cap and see
if they smoke;) OOPs:, jacob's ladder.

>At least it would be INDESTRUCTABLE.
At least until you outgrow your pole pig and resort to an EMP (the
HUGE electrical effect from a nuclear explosion in space) as a power
source;)

>Opinions?
Try it on several small plates. Then scale it up.

>Am I forgetting something?
Don't forget to smooth the edges after cutting;) or else there
> Will there be HUGE corona between
>plates - causing losses and breakdown at much less than 4kV/mm ?

>I could build a tank around it too - and fill it with dry N2 or
>something fancier. It would make it a potential bomb though.

H2 quenches well I hear;)

All fun aside: I like your idea; just start smaller and scale upwards.

	Regards,

	jim