[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

250watt solid-state flybacks? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:27:07 +1000
From: davidhosking <davidhosking-at-bigpond-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: 250watt solid-state flybacks?

Hi All,
Sometime ago it was mentioned that a TV flyback could handle 250watts.

I would like to build a solid state driver to have a go at this but need
some help with circuits as I am no electronics tech.  I currently have a
"traditional" 1800watt NST powered coil and am comfortable with the HV
side of things. What I am thinking of making is a helmet mounted Tesla
coil like that "Electrobot" guy Austin has. I think that looks fantastic
!!!

I envisage using 24volt dc from 2x 12volt lead/acid batteries in a belt
drawing around 15amps for runtimes of several minutes only.  Electronics
would be in a metal box attached to a waist band/belt driving a flyback
(or 2 in antiphase?) in a squat pvc tube topped with a small toroid.  The
tube/toroid would be mounted on a metal covered helmet to provide a ground
plane.

Ideally this arrangement could produce 2 to 3 inch streamers visible at
night

Any ideas on how I could achieve this?

Many thanx for your help & advice,
David Hosking.