Re: ESR

on that fateful day 8/24/00 11:30 AM, Tesla list uttered:

> Original poster: "Dan Kunkel" <dankunkel-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> I was looking through the Newark electroincs catalog and found some suitable
> mmc caps. But they are described as low ESR. What does that mean?

Effective Series Resistance- namely, the impedance of the cap at a given
frequency.  "Low ESR" is a good thing.  I've never seen it in an ad for
plastic film capacitors though, only on aluminum electrolytics and
tantalums- neither of which are suitable for TC work.

What's the Newark stock number?

> And as
> long as I have your attention...what does 'wvdc' as opposed to 'vdc'
> (obviously vdc means volts direct current) when refering to capacitors.

Working Volts DC, as contrasted with a test or maximum allowable voltage
rating.

- Gomez Addams (Bill Lemieux

"The most fundamental human right is ownership of your body.
If you cannot do with it as you please, you are not yet free."
                                 - W. A. Lemieux