[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SRSG motor anomoly

Hey,

I finished machining 4 flats into the armature of a 1725 RPM 1/4 HP (or
something close) motor recently.  Today, I attached my G-LE rotor (no
electrodes yet :-(  )  to the motor and fired it up.  Ran pretty smooth
after balancing.  I grabbed an old stroboscope and clocked it at 1800RPM!
I was happy, despite there being no way with this scope to test for rotor
position vs. the AC cycle.

Then, I applied a little load to the rotor by gently pressing on it with my
hand.  The rotor position rotated about 10 degrees, then a full 90 degrees
(to the next pole).  It took surprisingly little pressure to cause this.  I
was wondering if I need to grind a little more off the armature?  I
machined 4 flats .675" across, which is the distance between the two "dead"
poles in the winding.  That is according to the directions I found on
Terry's site.  Is it possible that the motor is crap?  It was replaced in a
furnace.

Thanks

Mark B.