Re: need suggestions for general sizing in a multi coil setup

In a message dated 6/13/01 7:13:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

David,

I don't think it's so much the sync or async that makes much
difference, but rather the breakrate.  I've found better "efficiency"
at low breakrates.  It's easier to get a coil to run smoothly using
sync at a low breakrate, because of the effect of the 60Hz AC.
In a filtered DC TC, sync or async has no meaning.  The real
question is whether a low bps is better or not.  In the low powered
work I've done, low bps was better.  I don't see why this wouldn't
apply at higher powers also.  As the bps is lowered, the cap
size needs to be increased to keep the input power the same
(or the voltage needs to be raised).  Kevin's coil is running at
120 bps sync, but he's getting a lot of loss in his ballast, so it
would be interesting to see how efficient it would be with a better
ballast.

Cheers,
John