RE: Two Manifestations of Charge - 3D version of ETesla - MicroSim

Hi Dave,

At 05:33 PM 7/10/2005, you wrote:
Hi Terry,

> A MicroSim schematic and model can now be drawn:
>
> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-71.gif

In the schematic you assume that the resistances are the same
between terminals, meaning that you also assume the potentials
are the same.  But we still don't know this to be a fact.

For the rod to ground arc, we can try Toepler's Equation:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Gap_losses.pdf

Rgap = (0.8e-3 x 5cm x 0.85Atm) / (30pF x 65kV) = 1.74kohms.

That is certainly in our range of about 1kohm I used. If we try it for the dim gap:

Rgap = (0.8e-3 x 5cm x 0.85Atm) / (3pF x 35kV) = 32.4kohm

That one is far higher!!  let me try these:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-75.gif

80 amps and 3 amps!

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-76.gif

10.5MW and 0.2mW...

It appears that the dim arc may have very little current indeed from this.

The dim are can be very dim though:
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-02.jpg
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-20.jpg
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-04.jpg

Or not there at all:
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-23.jpg

My previous guess for the top terminal to rod arc current was based on arcing without the rod:
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-57.jpg

But from this later information, that was clearly not a good test to use. That would have just been the 30pF arc case...

So if Toepler is correct, the dim arc resistance and current is very low compared to the bright arc. The models do not disagree with that case.

Would the luminosity of the tube to ground spark be 10X or 100X
greater, or some other value greater than the topload to tube
spark based upon a 10X power difference?

It is non-linear I am sure. At first the purple is sort of a cold ion discharge that probably does not have much heat so it does not need much power (like a neon bulb). But when things start to get "white hot", then the heat and power much go way up (like an arc welder). We also seem to have to worry about how long of time each arc lasts...

It is fairly straight forward to set up a high voltage caps and some high voltage resistors to test for such things. I am sure it has been done many times so just have to find the papers...

I have shorted big 400V buss caps many times with resistors and the glow is dim purple and sizzling, but not terribly hot. I have also shorted them with a screwdriver =8O The spot on ones eyes goes away in a few hours... But I don't know of any controlled tests of spark brightness vs current and time over say a 5cm spark...

Cheers,

        Terry

Dave