Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Malcolm.

Tl> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>  > why should we go close to the "maximum secondary voltage"? why should
>  > we risk? why we can`t stop at, for example, 150 kv, that imo will
>  > never fry my 20" tall secondary? the question was/still:
>  >
>  > "minimum (at practical viewpoint) Vsec - does it exist? but maybe it`s
>  > just as with bps - do we need some middle value?"

Tl> Given that topload ROC can be tailored to
Tl> determine breakout voltage it is reasonable to ask why not stop at
Tl> 50kV e.g.? My answer is that if you want long sparks, it helps to
Tl> induce leaders from target objects and the only two things that will
Tl> do that are a spark from the coil getting close enough or a high
Tl> voltage from further away. It sounds like something else to be
Tl> quantified.

"high voltage helps to induce leaders from target objects" - how - by
mean of electrical induction? but following Kulon`s law the force,
acting at remote charge depends only from the toroid charge and
distance to the target. toroid charge could be made the same at
any secondary voltage - we only have to change toroid capacitance
(primary voltage, e.t.c.)
actually we can`t consider toroid as a point charge :-)
but the field strength around the toroid  depends greater from its ROC
than from the secondary voltage.
b.t.w. - how i must take into account flashover voltage? imagine i`m
building 4" coil, secondary height 20", frequency at around 220khz -
how could i know that voltage?
or - i`ve calculated the toroid voltage (70 cm diameter) - 1.2 MV -
what height should be the secondary to prevent flashovers?

---
All I saw was a bright white flash, an explosion like a high-powered
gunshot, and the thick smell of ozone and electrical damage.
(c) Richard Quick  22-01-95 00:13:00