Re: Machining an Egg

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 9/17/06 7:06:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

But here's the question.. does your egg have to be conductive or
magnetic?  Why not aluminum, which is still cheap, also easy to
machine or cast.

I once machined an aluminum egg for Harry Goldman to use in his
Egg of Columbus machine.  The egg refused to spin up to a vertical
position.  It spun but stayed on it's side.  I don't know if that's
because I didn't make the shape just right, or if the machine lacked
enough power.  Harry suggested that a lot of power was needed to
deal with a heavy solid egg.  Harry had good success with various
hollow eggs of aluminum.  I forget if he tried other metals.

John