Re: whimshurst--RESEND (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:02:36 -0600
From: Gomez <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: whimshurst--RESEND (fwd)

Aha, the list is alive!

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 08:30  AM, High Voltage list wrote:

>   Back in high school physics (c.1947) there was a huge William
>   Welch Wimshurst. The glass disks were at least 16 inches across and
> driven
>   in their opposite directions by a sewing machine belt driven from a
> crank
>   handle.

  We had one like that too.  I have to laugh and point out that "huge"
means
different things to different people, however.  I've been toying with
the idea
of building a big Wimshurst machine from two replacement glass patio
table tops.
The only thing stopping me is that I don't know where I would put it!

  - Gomez