Re: lifter power supply (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:34:50 -0600
From: Terrell W. Fritz <terrellf@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lifter power supply (fwd)

Hi Lance,

"I" have not gotten a lifter to fly, so take my "guess" with a grain of
salt. ;-)

A 15kV NST will rectify to about 21kVDC.  From what I have read, that seems
on the "low end" of voltage needed.

However, there are a number of circuits that would double the voltage (or
more!).  Do a web search on "voltage doublers" or "Cockroft-Walton".  NSTs
usually have the center of the secondary grounded which is a pain in our
case.  But I think a voltage doubler would be a relatively easy way to pump
up the voltage.  There are a few details about loading and design that
would have to be worked out, but I am thinking of going this way for mine.

http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles/voltmult.pdf

A lot does depend on my original question about voltage "above ground".  A
dual doubler may provide say +20kV and -20kV.  If we "really need" 0 and
+40kV in relation to ground, the doubler may not be a good choice...  Also
note that a rectified NST is really -10kV and +10kV at the terminals
relative to ground which may really be bad...

"I" am "thinking" we may really need a DC supply that truly does have an
output about +30kV above earth ground potential.  -30kV, +-15kV, etc. may
not work...

An ordinary GMHEI ignition coil circuit may work too.  They are very easy
to run with a lamp dimmer control.  Plenty of voltage, but I am not sure
they would have the current needed.  Apparently, lifters need a fair amount
of "power" to fly.

Cheers,

	Terry