Re: lifter power supply (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:05:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Roberts <quezacotl_14000000000000@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lifter power supply (fwd)

Hi Lance,
Unfortunately, there are a couple of problems with using a NST to power a lifter. First, the output is AC. Lifters need DC to work. (At least, that's what I've heard but I've never heard why it couldn't) Also, lifters usually need around 30kv to work. You might be able to build a voltage doubler like the one shown at:
http://hot-streamer.com/greg/motpic.htm (ignore the right half of the diagram)
You would have to make sure that the ratings for the components were high enough to handle the higher voltages, (since your input would be 15kv instead of 6kv) but it would give you 30kv pulsed DC. That should take care of both problems. Does anybody else think that this would work? I personally have never done something like this so I'm only theorizing at this point, so if anybody with any 'real' experience could give any suggestions please do so. =D

High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: Steven Roys