Potting on the Cheap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:37:53 +0930
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Potting on the Cheap

Hi All

I have recently acquired some (very cheap) SMD equivalent devices to the
1N4007.  I'm going to use these to make HV rectifier strings on narrow
PCBs - no drilling ;-)

Construction is simpler than it sounds - once the board is etched and
cut, a dab of solder paste onto each pad, mount the diodes, then into
the oven for a couple of minutes.  (There's a wonderful site out there -
can't remember where - how to make SMD boards in a toaster oven.)

Once the boards are made, I'd like to coat the strings with something to
stop them getting damp/dirty with the risk of flash-over.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using silicone bath sealant
in this application.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith