RE: Driver PCB Design (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 09:51:33 -0400
From: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley@xxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: matt@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Driver PCB Design

It depends on the final application.

Just make sure you follow the following rules:

1.  Maximize traces.  Use big area fills (lots of copper) for most of
the connections.

2.  However, maintain enough separation for voltage stand-off.  For
example, if you were using 270VDC for input
power, keep enough space between traces to prevent arcing.

3.  On any feedback loops, compensation networks etc..., make sure you
add parallel R-C networks (at least just
spaces on the board) all over the place. This is important, as when you
finally build it up, you will want to fine
tube feedback loops etc... for frequency response, and to counteract
board inductance which may effect frequency response of various parts of
the circuits et...

4.  Add as much optional things as you can.  You will always have a need
for adding things once you build your board up.

5.  Add spots for test points

6.  Routing of your traces is important as well.  You don't want any of
your high current traces passing under your
control circuitry etc...  Need to minimize coupling between traces like
that to reduce noise and interference.  Especially with switching
supplies.

Dan