Re: Lifter with lights (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:30:14 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Lifter with lights

Here is my new lifter I am developing for a museum piece.
My Lifter Mk 3 has custom argon tubes for the upright high voltage wire
supports.  In addition it has small neon indicator globes at the corners of
the lifter itself. Very impressive at night.  This is the only one that I
have seen that uses these ? a world first. At least none other on Naudins
list of 252 lifters, although he does use one to monitor power on a static
display.

Not really a high flier at present, however due to the reduced voltage
available after the argon's plus the added weight of the small neon tubes.
One further feature is the 'crash-land' button.  This uses a motorized
switch to short circuit the power supply.  This causes a loud and bright
spark visible low down between the upright argons in the left picture, the
tall argon's flash and the lifter loses power and falls.  Kids love this one
judging by the first public appearance of the prototype last night.

It will be housed in a 6ft high Acrylic 5 sided enclosure.

Power is DC stabilised 30kV 50uA with or without dropping resistor of 300K.
Control for "take-off" is with a switch mode controller.

Pics on my site showing it and others flying.

Peter
Peter (Tesla Downunder)
http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au