Tesla coils on GFCIs (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:29:33 -0700
From: Gomez Addams <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Tesla coils on GFCIs

  I just realized that I may have to install GFCIs in my new wiring in
the "shop" because in reality it is a garage, the code requires GFCI
protected outlets in garages.  I may or may not have to install GFCIs
in the shop area (especially as it is physically distinct from the rest
of the garage, with a separating wall) but frankly, for life safety
reasons it is not a bad idea.

  However, GFCIs being electronic devices with sensitive electronic
amplifiers in them, I see this as a recipe for trouble when it comes
time to run Tesla Coils out there.

1: Has anyone successfully run a Tesla coil from a GFCI protected
outlet (presuming a well isolated HV transformer),
and
2: has anyone had trouble with GFCIs when Tesla coils have been
operated nearby?