Kelvin water dropper (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:52:54 -0800
From: John Pepper <jspepper@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Kelvin water dropper

Greetings Ed,

 http://www-eng.lbl.gov/~jspepper/Water%20Dropper/

The water dropper is not yet ready to operate on its own.  I did,
however, hook up a Wimshurst to the top inducer which resulted in charge
transport indicating that things were happening properly.  Many of the
designs I have seen did not handle corona losses very well (i.e. beer
cans) so I am using lots of balls and a couple of toroids for charge
collectors.  With some leyden jar caps and some re-adjustment of the
inducer height I'm hoping to achieve a little better than the typical .5
to 1 cm output.  Wimpy by many standards, but from falling
water...pretty cool.

-John