Re: A solution for the re entrant portion (VDG) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:43:42 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A solution for the re entrant portion (VDG) (fwd)

At 02:05 PM 2/12/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

A colleague put together a water dropper here at the lab and it works quite
nicely.  A distinct "zap" and visible spark every couple seconds. judging
from the separation of the gap, about 5-10 kV.  The nifty thing is that as
the charge builds up, the droplets start spraying around.  Nylon wire ties
and PVC pipe were the construction method.

I've always wanted to build a "big" water dropper (trash can/shower head
sized)... You'd need a recirculating pump, but those are easy to come by.

I think Antonio has a scanned article from a Frenchman about 100 years ago
who built a very nice "shower head" type water dropper, with 4 heads, four
charging rings and 4 collectors.

One could make a very pretty system with nice polished brass and copper
tubing...