Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:00:07 -0700
From: Gomez <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

On Thursday, January 15, 2004, at 09:58  AM, High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

  I believe you have hit upon one of the advantages of a chain - insane
surface speeds.  Although I could not find any mention of the chain
operating speed on National Electrostatics' web site, they do mention
that their pulleys are quite large (30cm - 60cm dia) which implies a
high surface speed.  And they mention their very high charging currents:

	"Depending on the particular design options,	the system delivers
charging currents of 100
	- 200 A or more per chain to the high voltage
	terminal."