Re: Van de Graaff /Pelletron (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:50:46 +1030
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff /Pelletron (fwd)

--snip--
> You know it might not be as difficult as it would first seem.  Take a
> look at this photo of a pelletron belt and drive wheel:
>
> http://www.phys.ksu.edu/area/jrm/Resource/Pics/Pelletron/18-LE_DRIVE_&CHAIN_1.jpg
>
> The wheels are easy enough.  Just looking at the belt, I'll bet
> copper pipe splicers (available  by the bag at Home Depot) could be
> used as the metal links.  What remains would be to find something to
> link them up with.  Hmmm.......

Looks like a ball and socket mechanism to me.  Easier to fabricate would be
link-and-pin.  The metal parts are tubes (possibly as suggested above).  Between
tubes would be plastic rods (smaller diameter than tube).  Rods attach to tube
by pins.

Got to watch edges though (corona discharge).

I don't think that the balls on string idea is so impractical - you just need a
V-belt pulley at either end.  (Diameter of sphere slighly less than normal width
of V-belt.)

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith