Re: Van de Graaff /Pelletron (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:23:40 -0800
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff /Pelletron (fwd)

I guess all of those who've looked at those pictures again have come up
with our own way of making a "belt".  In thinking about that I came up
with a fundamental question which might inhibit further efforts.  If the
individual pellets are conducting, which seems necessary, don't their
edges form a chain of little spark gaps and isn't the maximum output
voltage for a given length limited by breakdown between the pellets?  If
so, it would seem that to get interesting voltages the machine would
have to be run in an insulating gas under pressure.

	Comments?

Ed