Re: Three ball electrostatic rotation (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:00:01 -0800
From: Richard Hull <rhull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Three ball electrostatic rotation (fwd)

We recorded all that you note in your post.
1.Very, very slow OSCILLATORY rotation
2.Fractional, 2pi maximum rotation.
3. Slight attraction off the gravitational perpendicular related to
coulombic attraction.
4. Felt the authors erroneously believed in full and continuous rotation if
not counter torque limited by the suspension wires.
5. System is always ultimately upset by ultimate touching of the balls,
nulling out charges and ruining the experiment.  This occurs always near the
ragged edge of maximum voltage.

Naturally, only two balls can rotate as one in the experiment is rigidly
fixed to a table by definition in the experimental procedure.
..............while I am on that subject............

We all agreed that the physical discription of the setup in the paper was
sadly lacking and very poorly presented with regards to possible replication
by others.  The math was tedious and hard to follow at my level of
understanding (electronic engieer).

I think if this was a lab report going for a grade, the theoretical
mathematical exercise might win an A if correct and a B in incorrect. ( The
gyrations and forethought in its mathematical wizardry would win here)  The
experimental presentation, however, deserved no better than a D!

Still an interesting wake up from a doldrumic slumber.  It also got a lot of
bile flowing in the old boy, status quo, scienctific elitist crowd.  Plenty
of "knee jerk" to go around.  Nice to have stuff like this kickin' around.
It forces what is left of empirical experimenters back to the lab.

Richard Hull