Re: HV Capacitors - PTFE (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:31:34 -0600
From: Gomez Addams <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HV Capacitors - PTFE (fwd)

On Sep 23, 2004, at 9:33 AM, High Voltage list wrote:

> Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:47:28 -0500
> From: Carl Litton <Carl_Litton@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: HV Capacitors - PTFE
>

> Our new local HV group is finding the securing or producing reliable,
> high capacitance capacitors at low cost for working in the 10's of kV
> range a serious challenge.
[snip]
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

  What is your application?  Designs which work well for CW RF do not
work well for DC filtering, and designs for either of those do not work
well for pulse-discharge applications.

  Most people I know who are building Tesla coils have either wound their
own from PE film and thin aluminum roof flashing (then immerse in oil
and
pull a vacuum to eliminate bubbles) or more recently, the multi-mini-cap
(MMC) designs using strings of 1600 volt, low-loss polypropylene caps.