X-ray Power Supplies (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:48:20 -0500
From: Carl Litton <Carl_Litton@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: X-ray Power Supplies

We just acquired a donation today of what I am told by the owner of the
x-ray repair shop is the power supply to an old 'Frankenstein' era x-ray
machine containing a large transformer and a capacitor that reportedly
hold a very large charge for a couple of days -- all covered in oil.

It is an olive drab steel box 2' cubic weighing a little less than
200lbs. with 2 large holes in the top looking down into some clear oil
and submerged metal.  Large cables come out of the top.  220 VAC input
to primary and spec. plate reads that secondary output is 120 KVP
(assuming that to be Kilovolts Peak) at a current of 330 m.a.

Now, I need to know about such devices as this is seriously beyond my
little (relatively) 39 lb. 15 kV NST's  and appears that it could
actually be dangerous ;).

Anyone with experience on hi-powered x-ray transformers  - would you
please direct us to any articles or information on care and feeding of
such a device and caveats about any salient differences one encounters
with this type of power supply compared to the usual MOTs, NSTs,
ignition coils, etc.

[I'm sure more folks will add their thoughts, but XRay transformers are DC
devices and will kill you very quickly.  100kVDC is nothing to be
careless with - your first mistake could very well be your last.  As
Richard hull would suggest, make sure you always have a friend there with
a long 2x4 to push your body off the terminals and put the fires out (with
a non-H2O based fire extinguisher!)  SRR]

Carl Litton
Hilton Hotels Corporation
901-374-5747