question (fwd)

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:49:53 -0700
From: Peter Lawrence <Peter.Lawrence@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: question

I hope this list doesn't mind forays into electro-and-magnetics
(hey, how else do we get HV!).

a question came up in a discussion with a co-worker, what is the
final magnetic field strength on the surface of a disk magnet
after stacking another one (or more) under it ?

in other words do magnets "add" like batteries connected in series ?

I'm guessing that they do, until the field strength reaches the
saturation level for the material, then it stays constant...

another possibility, the field strength stays the same, but the
pile's coercive strength increases ?

or some combination of the above, or something else altogether ?

-Pete Lawrence.