Dirod Electrostatic Machine (fwd)

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:50:13 +1030
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Dirod Electrostatic Machine

Hi All

Don't know if anyone has come across this electrostatic machine:

<http://www.cavemanchemistry.com/dirod/index.html>

To quote from the introduction:

"I must confess I have become hooked on Dirods. Static electricity
generators tend to be at the mercy of atmospheric humidity, but the
Dirod is amazingly robust, both mechanically and electrically. While
Moore gives instructions for the construction of four Dirod models, it
is fun to tinker with the design, trying to get the most out of each
system. For myself, I was interested in a design along the following lines:

    *      The device should occupy a cubic foot or less.
    *      It should be hand operated.
    *      It should be easy to build.
    *      It should be inexpensive.
    *      It should provide easy connections to accessories.
    *      It should produce the maximum voltage and current, given the
other constraints."

(The Caveman Chemistry book on that site is also cool; I've just bought
an e-book copy of it, mostly for the mead recipe ;-)

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
IT Consultancy & Accessible Web Application Development