Re: Dirod Electrostatic Machine (fwd)

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 07:09:20 -0800
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Dirod Electrostatic Machine (fwd)

    I have one about like his #7 (identical as far as I can tell) which
I built from a kit somebody was selling for quite a reasonable price -
had all the parts shown including the base.  Works great and will
produce ~ 1" sparks between two spherical doorknobs about 2-1/2"
diameter.  Nothing like my small VDG but it's hand cranked and easy to
play with.  Has one additional interesting characteristic - it will run
just fine as a motor.  I made a small "Leyden jar" from a 1-1/2" dia
polyethylene pill bottle - about 25 uufd C.  When I connect it to the
machine and "crank her up good" for a few seconds and then take my hands
off the crank the rotor slows down and stops (quite a bit of inertia due
to the large plastic sheet), then reverses direction and runs for
several seconds.

"Every home should have one",

Ed