Re: Close lightning strike and strange tick (fwd)

Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:56:19 -0400
From: Norman F. Stanley <nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>, hvlist <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Close lightning strike and strange tick (fwd)

      Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 11:14:06 -0600 (MDT)
      From: Chip Atkinson <chip@xxxxxxxxxx>
      To: hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx
      Subject: Close lightning strike and strange tick

      Greetings,

      I was out walking yesterday with my gf and experienced a
      really strange
      phenomenon. Lightning struck fairly close to where I was so
      that the
      thunderclap was about .1 second after the flash.  The amount
      of time
      separating the flash and boom was long enough that you could
      notice a
      delay but not really any longer.  My .1 second estimate is
      based on the
      fastest I could start and stop a stop watch.

      But anyway, the most interesting thing was that simultaneous
      with the
      flash was a weird "tick" sound.  It was kind of like a
      "plasticky" tick
      like you flipped a plastic dinner plate with your
      fingernail.  I know
      I wasn't imagining anything since my girlfriend heard the
      sound too.  She
      also felt that it was pretty much simultaneous with the
      flash.

      Any ideas anyone?

      Thanks in advance.

      Chip

I recall occasions when I've heard a clicking sound when lightning struck
nearby.  I was indoors and attributed it to an induced static discharge
in the house wiring.  Anyway, I'm happy that you and the gf survived to
tell of it.

Norm

------
Eliminate annoying spam!

My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster.
http://www.ihatespam.net