Re: Close lightning strike and strange tick (fwd)

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:09:09 -0400
From: Richard Hull <rhull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Close lightning strike and strange tick (fwd)

I have heard several clicks from near lightning strikes during my lifetime.
Once in Viet-Nam while on a flight line and near strike and several times
since then.  As an old coiler and HV guy I know a spark sound and the click
is way too high pitched.  It is more like a low decibel  first click from
one of those old metal "criket clickers".

What it is or why it is casued is anyone's guess.  The preceeding click or
tick is a common thing heard by many near hit reporters.

Richard Hull