Re: switching options for huge cap discharges (fwd) (Copied from Tesla List) (fwd)

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:58:52 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: switching options for huge cap discharges (fwd) (Copied from Tesla
    List)

Hi Dave,

Per Schaefer and Kristiansen ("Gas Discharge Closing Switches"), the
best performing materials for low rep-rate, ultra-high current spark
gaps are brass, machinable copper-tungsten (Elkonite or similar),
tungsten, or even pure copper. At 100 kA+ levels, brass or
copper-tungsten are preferred. By using large area, relatively flat
electrode surfaces, electrode life can be significantly extended. Large
thermal mass and good thermal capacity are best for low duty cycle high
current switches. Keeping discharge times relatively short and avoiding
full damped ringing discharges (such as can crushing) will also help to
extend electrode life.

I have personally used 2" dia. x 3/4" thick brass electrodes on my older
trigatron switch, and also on a newer solenoid-driven switch. The former
has worked in coin crushing service for over 6 years, while the new
switch has been in service for over 2 years. The trigatron was retired
after switching over 5,000 shots. Although the main electrodes showed
relatively little wear wear, the small triggering pin (the center
electrode from a modified spark plug) had worn down to the point where
it could no longer reliably trigger the switch. This is the weak link
and the usual failure mode for trigatrons. I converted to the
electromechanical switch since it has a much larger operating range and
it doesn't suffer from trigger failures or, worse yet, self-trigger for
a 6.5 kJ "surprise"... :^)  The solenoid switch is very reliable and has
required virtually no maintenance since it was put into service.

One downside of using brass electrodes is that the hot arc apparently
evaporates small amounts of zinc from the surface of the brass alloy.
This leaves an electrode surface that, under magnification, looks
similar to a cracked riverbed, with networks of thin cracks surrounding
little islands of conductive material. The vaporized zinc then oxidizes,
slowly depositing a whitish film on the interior of the spark gap
chamber. Although it detracts cosmetically, it doesn't seem to cause any
other problems.

BTW, I used a hairpin current path between the bus bars and gap on both
types of gaps in order to create a strong magnetic field that "sweeps"
the plasma across the electrodes when the trigatron is fired. This helps
spread the wear across more of the electrode surface to reduce melting
and extend life. It's not clear if this helped to extend trigger
electrode lifetime. In any event, here's what the solenoid-driven switch
looks like:

http://www.capturedlightning.com/frames/gallery/newgap5a.jpg
http://www.capturedlightning.com/frames/Newgap2a.jpg

I'm also including an image of one of the electrodes from the retired
trigatron. The center of this electrode is actually the end of a 1/2" -
13 silicon bronze mounting bolt. While the tip of the bolt shows
evidence of melting, the main brass electrode does not. You can easily
see the dry riverbed pattern on the brass electrode.

http://www.capturedlightning.com/photos/HVStuff/Trigatron_Electrode.jpg

Unless you happen to already have some large pieces of tungsten or
Elkonite laying around, I'd really recommend using plain old brass,
since the performance seems to be perfectly fine for this application,
it's considerably less expensive, much easier to work with, and 2" brass
rounds are easy to locate.

Good luck and best regards,

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured