Re: Close lightning strike and strange tick (fwd)

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:36:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Close lightning strike and strange tick (fwd)

I don't know....if there was some kind of leader coming from the tree,  maybe it was  to high up for me to notice it.   All I know is I wish I had gotten to see it hit my car...My ex-wife saw it from the kitchen window and from the angle...was sure I'd gotten hit....

  Wow.  That's really weird.  Do you think that it was so close that the
crash of thunder obliterated any click?

Yesterday I talked with the other person that was there at the time.
  She said she heard the same click and also heard a similar click associated
with another close strike.

I wonder if there have to be certain conditions to create the click
 ratherthan it happening all the time.

> I nearly got hit by lightning once about 15 years ago.   I was
 working on my car under the shade of a tree and it started to sprinkle....I
 happened to be standing on a sheet of cardboard I'd laid down to keep
 grease and oil from ruining my grass.   I was putting my tools away when
 the lighting hit my car...about five feet away.   I heard no clicks or
 anything prior to crapping my pants (kidding),  but there was certainly
 a good shockwave because it stunned a bird in the tree above me.