Re: Voltage multiplier capacitors (fwd)

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:15:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Voltage multiplier capacitors (fwd)

Are you going to have this NST multiplier with both a positive and a negative voltage?   If so,  each stage's capacitors with need to stand of 1.414x 12k/v  or about 17kV   As far as the capacitance value,  I'm not too sure, but I would think the first stage should match the impedance of the transformer to get the most from it. The diodes should prevent the resonant rise, but again,  I'm not sure  lol, so you might want the caps to be a little more than the impedance match (which I calculated at 6.6nF...so maybe use 8 or 9nF).  If you want a single positive output, then you might want a full wave rectifier on each output and use the ground for the reference.  Then your caps for each stage would only have to be about 8.5kV.   I hope someone else has a better handle on this than I.   If I'm right about the full wave rectifier on each leg, then you'd need four times the capacitance since the voltage is halved.   On subsequent stages,  I think the value can go down because the
 overall voltage goes up and current down, but all the CW multipliers I've seen use a constant value for each stage, so it would be safer to do that.
  Mike