Re: Voltage multiplier capacitors (fwd)

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:19:03 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Voltage multiplier capacitors (fwd)

At 07:47 PM 3/21/2007, you wrote:
>Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxxxx>

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/cw1.htm has some schematics and
design equations, including one for a center tapped transformer.

It's a bit complex to figure out what size caps might be optimum for
a hugely inductive source like a NST.     As the stack charges from a
stiff low impedance, the current flow starts to look like narrow
pulses (since it only flows when the transformer voltage is > the cap
voltage, and so on, up the stack).  A ballasted source like a NST
might act more like a constant current source, so the charging
current waveforms might look different.

I'd just pick some caps of convenient values and build it and try it.